Forbes Rates the Best Construction ERP Systems
Enterprise resource planning (ERP) is the integrated management of main business processes, often in real-time and mediated by software and technology. More simply put, ERP is the HBIC of your construction business! Most restaurants, stores, doctor offices, etc… all operate with a software tool. Can you imagine if they didn't? They wouldn't be able to properly track anything; you would be so frustrated if you had to fill out a document every time you went out to eat or had an appointment. Technology has been such a time-saver and resourceful tool in helping businesses and companies scale, and manage properly and efficiently.
Why is ERP a helpful tool?
Accepting the fact that, construction is one of the most complex industries to manage, it's no surprise that the software side of the construction industry is busting with ways to help owners improve processes from the ground up. Here are a few key reasons why ERP is crucial to have:
- Profitable Estimating: Using ERP software assists construction companies in their bidding process by providing accurate and efficient tools to aid with expenses, related but not limited to equipment, labor, job site materials, and other related overhead costs.
- Improve Team Collaboration: Gone are the days of falling victim to a lack of information across teams. Reduction in errors due to visibility across various departments will keep projects on track to profitability!
- Insights: Accurate record-keeping enables construction companies to be able to build a repository of historical data. This data is resourceful for every facet of a construction company from building an estimate to risk management and company forecasting, and all the expenses that the company endures.
Forbes Top 3 Construction ERP of 2023
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central: Best Overall
- SAP Business One Professional: Best for Large General Contractors
- Epicor Prophet 21: Best for Building Supply Companies
- Acumatica: Best for Small General Contractors
- IFS: Best for Home Builders
- Oracle Fusion Cloud: Best for Small Subcontractors
- Sage 300: Best for Real Estate Management Companies
What ERP is right for my business?
Assuming you already have a professional construction bookkeeper, having this type of conversating with that person, and the management side of your team will help you make the right decision. The ERP market is vast, so engage in an exercise together discussing what is important to your specialty and company size. Happy Hunting!